Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Potato Recipe

Yesterday I was in the mood to cook. If you know me, I don't really like to cook, I like simple, easy recipes. The main reason I don't care for cooking is because I don't like cleaning the mess afterwards. hahaha! I was talking to my sister about my plans for dinner and she gave me the yummiest recipe for potatoes. It was sooooo good. I made breaded chicken breast, green beans and the potatoes. The hubby sure liked it! So did I. So, here is the recipe. Try it and let me know what you think!

What you need:
* 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
* 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 2 cups milk
* 1 cup shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese (4 ounces)
* 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
* 6 medium potatoes (2 pounds), peeled
* 1 7-ounce jar roasted red sweet peppers, drained and coarsely chopped
* Rosemary or parsley sprigs (optional)

Directions
1. In a large saucepan cook onion in margarine or butter until tender but not brown. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and parsley until cheese is melted.
2. Meanwhile, thinly slice potatoes (should have about 6 cups). In a 2-quart rectangular baking dish place half of the potatoes. Cover with half of the sauce. Add all of the roasted peppers. Repeat layers of potatoes and sauce.
3. Bake, covered, in a 350 degree F oven for 1-1/4 hours. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more or until potatoes are tender. Garnish with rosemary or parsley sprigs, if desired.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

1 comment:

Erica said...

yum! that sounds good!

!***MckLinky Blog Hop